* WORKSHOPS FOR ALL LEVELS IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE *
WHERE AND WHEN:
October 13th and 20th 2022 – from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm (Rome Time, GMT+2+) Live on ZOOM
The Zoom session will be recorded. If you are unable to watch live, you may still take the class.
Links for the videos will be sent to you after class has ended and expire in 2 weeks.
+39 349-6051804 (Whatsapp)
“The workshop is aimed at everyone: designers, professionals, students, graphic designers, tattoo artists, letter lovers, just curious people or anyone interested in calligraphy, both as an artistic medium and as a graphic element to complete or enrich an editorial or advertising work.
• HOW IT WORKS:
– Buy the Workshop through the normal e-commerce procedure of the site
– The days before the Workshop, you will receive the PDF handout and your personal address to access the Zoom Direct with the rest of the Class by mail.
• WHAT YOU BUY:
– 4 Hours live on ZOOM in 2 Days shared with teacher and class with the possibility to interact at the moment.
– Handouts and Work sheets in PDF format
– Video recordings of the Class available for 2 weeks
– Dedicate private group on PADLET to share your works with the other students and the teacher
The class is open — and has much to offer — to all levels of experience, from adventurous beginners to advanced pros.
• TOPIC: WRITE AND PASTE – Calligraphic Textures on Panels
I have a passion for textures, especially textures formed in nature. After years of learning a variety of Roman letters, I discovered the beauty of each stroke, and the unique textures that result from writing text with them. I also love working on paper. In this workshop, we will create calligraphic textures on paper, and paste them on wood panels.
In this workshop, we will mainly use folded pens that I think are the most versatile tools to make calligraphic textures. In the first class, we will practice simple random weighted letterforms with both capitals and minuscules with radius cut folded pen with Sumi ink. We will play with space, balance, movement and rhythm for making unique calligraphic textures by writing a text with random weighted letters.
In the second class, we will use colors and different mediums to add more depth on the textures. We will also challenge how much emotion we can put into our marks through the exercises. Then we will crop some textures in squares (4”x 4”, 6”x 6” or 8”x 8”) and paste them on wood panels. Layering oriental paper on the board and simple collage technique will also be presented. The design layout and composition, principal of art and design will be lectured for making the cropping pieces as calligraphic art pieces.
* The materials will be explained at the beginning of the first class. It is not necessary to have all the tools, and please do not spend a fortune to buy new materials and tools that you are not sure to be useful.
- Mysonate wood board or any kind of wood panels, your chosen size: 4”x4”, 6”x6” or 8”x8”
- Cropping squares (black or white paper), 4”x4”, 6”x6” and 8”x8”
- White Gesso for coating the board
- Fluid matte medium and PVA (any kind of white glue) for pasting sheets on boards
- ( I am testing “Satin Varnish”, “Methyl Cellulose” and “Wheat Starch” for pasting paper and I will share the results.)
- Folded pen: Tim’s pen (“Radius” nibs) and/or New Horizon folded nib (Paper & Ink Art) recommended
- Cola pen, any kind of folded pens, ruling pens or Luthis pens you already have
Pencil HB and 2B
- Drawing, sketch or charcoal paper for practice (about 11” x 17” or A3 size and larger recommended). You can also use a roll of butcher paper instead.
- Good quality watercolor paper such as Arches Text wove, Arches MBM and/or Rives BFK. Two full sheets cut into 1/4.
Black Sumi ink (I use Yasumoto Bokuju green bottle)
- Your choice of two to three colors of acrylic ink (My favorite ink and colors are Magic Color Aqua Blue, FW acrylic ink Payne’s Gray, Schminke Aero color acrylic ink Brown Brazil and Red Madder Dark)
- Small and medium size dish for ink
- Plastic 6 well palette
- Water container
- Rag or paper towel
- Cutter knife and cutting board
- Your choice of text, 5-20 wordsOptional
- Oriental white thin paper (any kind of Washi paper, calligraphy paper, machine made works okay) letter size and larger
- 1-2 full sheets of black and gray paper (Canson, Fabriano or Hahnemühle Ingres or Hahnemühle Bugra paper recommended)
• THE TEACHER:
Yukimi Annand is a calligrapher, lettering and book artist based in Southern California. She grew up in Japan and studied visual communication design and worked as a graphic designer in Tokyo. She is passionate about the beauty of Roman alphabet and creates unique artwork with her love of calligraphic mark making incorporated with nature. She has been experimenting with the usage of tools and mediums to expand her world of calligraphy. She also has bee having a great pleasure to share her ideas and to give workshops all around the world since 2012. Her works have been frequently shown in Letter Arts Review as well as other calligraphic journals and books. And they have been included in calligraphy collections in Berlin, San Francisco, and Moscow.