* WORKSHOPS FOR ALL LEVELS IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE *
WHERE AND WHEN:
01 and 02 April 2021 – from 10:00 am to 12:00 noon (Rome Time, GMT+2+)
in Direct Via ZOOM
The Zoom session will be recorded. If you are unable to watch live, you may still take the class.
Links for the videos will be sent to you after class has ended and expire in 2 weeks.
+39 349-6051804 (Whatsapp)
“The workshop is aimed at everyone: designers, professionals, students, graphic designers, tattoo artists, letter lovers, just curious people or anyone interested in calligraphy, both as an artistic medium and as a graphic element to complete or enrich an editorial or advertising work.
• HOW IT WORKS:
– Buy the Workshop through the normal e-commerce procedure of the site
– The days before the Workshop, you will receive the PDF handout and your personal address to access the Zoom Direct with the rest of the Class by mail.
• WHAT YOU BUY:
– 4 Hours live on ZOOM in 2 Days shared with teacher and class with the possibility to interact at the moment.
– Handouts and Work sheets in PDF format
– Video recordings of the Class available for 2 weeks
The class is open — and has much to offer — to all levels of experience, from adventurous beginners to advanced pros.
• TOPIC: The Book of Kells
The Book of Kells c. 800 CE is Ireland’s medieval masterpiece of illumination & writing & manuscript design. A religious book containing the four gospels of the New Testament, it is housed in the Treasury of Trinity College Library in Dublin.
In the first segment you will be presented with a lecture on the Book of Kells, so get your note pads ready! Then we will take a question and answer session and a live demo.
In the second segment you will be introduced to the Half-Uncial hand as seen in the manuscript. Hands on, we will work through recognising all the letters and their multiples, truncation marks, ligatures and simple abbreviations. We will work the text letterforms including the strong characteristically heavy beaked serif and create a Kells text block pattern.
• SUPPLY LIST (excluded from the registration fee) WORLDWIDE SHOP • SHOP IN ITALIA
- 2mm, 3mm & 4 mm nibs (as you prefer between: Brause, Speedball, Mitchell)
- walnut or black ink
- ruler, mechanical pencil .5
- practice paper or good quality drawing paper like Strathmores
• THE TEACHER:
Gemma Black is an artist and calligraphic-designer. Gemma was a recipient of a Winston Churchill Memorial Fellowship to study in Europe that allowed her to research, observe and learn the practice of calligraphy. She is an Honoured Fellow and Fellow of the prestigious Calligraphy & Lettering Arts Society, UK. For over 25 years Gemma has taught extensively for calligraphy, bookbinding, art & craft organisations around Australia including the Australian National University. Gemma has taught in Italy, Germany, Spain, South Africa, USA, Canada and the UK. Her work is housed in private and public collections including the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge, UK, the European Parliament and Parliament House Canberra. Her work involves mostly calligraphy, book structures, decorative paper techniques, abstract watercolour painting and grounds for calligraphy. Gemma lives in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia If you would like to read about the day to day life of a lettering designer please visit Gemma’s BLOG
There are no reviews yet.