DECEMBER TO REMEMBER
3 for 2 – THREE DAYS FOR THE PRICE OF TWO!
* WORKSHOPS FOR ALL LEVELS IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE *
WHERE AND WHEN:
10 – 11 – 14 December 2020 – from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm (Rome Time)
Live on ZOOM
The Zoom session will be recorded. If you are unable to watch live, you may still take the class.
Links for the videos will be sent to you after class has ended and expire in 1 week.
+39 349-6051804 (Whatsapp)
“The workshop is aimed at everyone: designers, professionals, students, graphic designers, tattoo artists, letter lovers, just curious people or anyone interested in calligraphy, both as an artistic medium and as a graphic element to complete or enrich an editorial or advertising work.
• HOW IT WORKS:
– Buy the Workshop through the normal e-commerce procedure of the site
– The days before the Workshop, you will receive the PDF handout and your personal address to access the Zoom Direct with the rest of the Class by mail.
• WHAT YOU BUY:
– 6 Hours live on ZOOM in 3 Days shared with teacher and class with the possibility to interact at the moment.
– Handouts and Work sheets in PDF format
To be part of the classe no previous specific knowledge is required, only the interest and desire to explore the world of letters.
• TOPIC: The Ashes Burning
The main proposal is to provide the student with an improvement of flat brush manipulation techniques applied to calligraphy and visual compositions.
For these explanations the teacher uses live performances and demonstrations of the Latin alphabet evolution since the ancient Roman Capital Letter and their influences in several historical alphabets and in Gothic models.
As important as the techniques are some methodologies that emphasize design thinking that are involved in the development of composition projects, whether they are traditional or contemporary. Learn how to explore the instrument’s strengths and understand how to improve them for your projects.
Regardless of style, each student will go on a journey to invent imagery through the strokes of two types of instruments that are at the same time intimate, known, mysterious and unpredictable …
- Day 1
– Presentation of the teacher and students
– A quick illustrated story about the history of Latin writing a look at latin calligraphy
– Teacher’s lecture/performance – drawing the styles of Rome to the Renaissance
– Warm up activities using flat brushes
– Exercise 1 – The alphabet under restrictive rules
– Exercise 2 – Changing the restrictive rules
- Day 2
– Exercise 3 – From light to dark – the extremes through the same instrument
– Exercise 4 – Thinking the space
- Day 3 – Extra Day
– Exercise 5 – Rotation
– Exercise 6 – The ashes burning… the brush on fire
- Short bristles
- BR24 Raphael Kaerell Flat Brush: size 04 and 6 (3/16” and 1/4”) and/or 08/10 (5/16” / 3/8”)
- Windsor & Newton: 995 (BR01) for ½” & larger (But just for students that are thinking in produce very large pieces as an A2 format or bigger. (optional)
- Long bristles (optional)
- BR60. Simply Simmons Brushes 1/2“
- BR12. Rekab Brush #5 (1/4”)
- A brush for fuel the reservoirs of pens
- A3 – Craft paper – 80gsm – 120gsm
- A3 – Canson Croquis / XL white or XL extra white – 90 gsm
- Towel paper
- adhesive tape
- 1 tempera or acrylic ink
- pencil or automatic pencil
- 0.5mm liner black marker
- water and ink reservoirs
- Liquid ink: Indian ink
- Optional inks (colored inks: ecoline, liquid water colors, windsor & newton calligraphy ink, Richstone Sepia inks, Pelikan 4001, Liquid Acrylic ink etc)
- Black Tempera (gouache) or water colour or acrylic tube (50ml)
- Coloured inks are optional but always welcome for students that love work with colors.• THE TEACHER:
Cláudio Gil from Brazil, is a teacher, designer, artist, and calligrapher. Master in Design by ESDI-RJ, Teaches art, design and calligraphy in design schools and in his private studio in the city Rio de Janeiro, where he lives. Self taught calligrapher, started his first investigations and trials in 2003 and since the has promoted more than 300 workshops in the last 15 years. In recent years he has been researching and lecturing paleography, writing, calligraphy and visual languages in schools, universities biennials, art and design events in Brazil, Latin America and Europe. His solid foundation through daily research and practice allows him to explore and extrapolate the boundaries of the classic, producing several slopes always full of freshness, which has become a mark in his contemporary work. His productions have already been exhibited and published in several countries and many of his works are in collections of museums and cultural institutions around the world. Very happy and honored to participate in the Write, right now in Slovenia Rendez-vous he’s currently developing a special workshop for the event. Cheers!