* 1 MONTH CLASS IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE *
WHERE AND WHEN:
9,16,23, 30 June 2021 – from 7:00 pm (Rome Time, GMT+2+)
in Direct Via ZOOM
The Zoom session will be recorded.
+39 349-6051804 (Whatsapp)
“The Workshop is aimed at everyone: designers, professionals, students, graphic designers, tattoo artists, letter lovers, just curious people or anyone interested in calligraphy, both as an artistic medium and as a graphic element to complete or enrich an editorial or advertising work.
• HOW IT WORKS:
– Buy the Workshop through the normal e-commerce procedure of the site
– The days before the Workshop, you will receive the PDF handout and your personal address to access the Zoom Direct with the rest of the Class by mail and the link for the dedicated Facebook Group
• WHAT YOU BUY:
– 4 Meeting live on ZOOM during 1 month shared with teacher and class with the possibility to interact at the moment.
1 Meeting for each week, Duration of the single meeting is 1 hour + Extra time (max 30 minutes) for Q&A
– Homeworks and Comments every week by the Teacher
This is not exactly Homeworks Correction, it’s comments or suggestions by the teacher if the student, posts his homeworks on FB group.
– Handouts and Work sheets in PDF format, Video recordings available for 1 Month
– Exclusive Access to the Dedicated Facebook Group with exclusive contains
As exclusive contains i mean for example the scan of the demonstrations that the teacher made during the lessons (if the teacher agree)
• TOPIC: “WHISPERS & SCREAMS – Exploring the Ruling Pen”
The ruling pen was designed to create technical drawings, but for several years now it is a very popular tool amongst calligraphers. And not without a reason: it is great fun to write with it. It is a versatile tool, capable of of creating a wide range of forms, from dark and dense shapes to light and frivolous letters: a ruling pen can make your letters whisper and scream!
In this workshop we will use the ruling pen intensively. You will learn techniques to use it – from formal to informal, expressive to controlled.
Positions of holding the pen, arm/ wrist movement, and writing speed are features which influence your lettering.
We will focus on these aspects, ans always with attention for the quality of line and form.
To be part of the classe no previous specific knowledge is required, only the interest and desire to explore the world of letters.
• SUPPLY LIST (excluded from the registration fee) WORLDWIDE SHOP • SHOP IN ITALIA
– Preferably a ruling pen with wider blades capable of drawing fine lines. It can be an old one or new one and as an alternative a “normal” (small bladed)ruling pen (old or new)
– Water colour or gouache (black, and some colour which you prefer) and/or a non-waterproof ink (be careful the ink doesn’t bleed); I prefer Pelikan 4001, or something similar.
– Paper: plenty of practice paper (copy / printer paper or layout paper, some sheets of Ingres or other quality paper what you prefer (size A3 / 11 x 17 inch approx.) It would be nice if you are able to try some smooth paper and some rougher paper
– Old brush, water jar, plate, palette or cup to hold your paint (possibility to fill your pen and mix your paint – when you not using ink)
– Small ruler to rule guide lines
• THE TEACHER:
– Elmo van Slingerland (Gouda NL)
was born in Rotterdam, The Netherlands. He studied at the Rotterdamse Grafische School (School for printing and graphic arts). In 1986 he attended a workshop in France with Claude Mediavilla and considers this as his start on the path of calligraphy. Elmo finished his study of graphic and typographic design at the Royal Academy of Arts in The Hague (passed with distinction). He has taught workshops in several countries in Europe, as well as Australia, Mexico, South Korea, Canada, and USA, and at The Royal Academy of Arts in The Hague (type design for post-graduate students). Elmo worked as a freelance graphic designer/type designer (for DTL, for which he designed the typeface Dorian, and worked on other typefaces). He has exhibited calligraphy in Belgium, France, and the Netherlands and and his work has been selected for different publications. Since 2016 he has divided his time between working for a design studio (specialists in corporate and annual reporting), and making letters and teaching workshops.