1 Month Class – “Hermann Kilian: an Adventure!” with Gemma Black (in English)
Out of stock
* 1 MONTH CLASS IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE *
WHERE AND WHEN:
04, 11, 18 & 25 November 2020 – from 10:00 am to 11:30 am (Rome Time, GMT+2+)
in Direct Via ZOOM
The Zoom session will be recorded.
+39 349-6051804 (Whatsapp)
“The Workshop is aimed at everyone: designers, professionals, students, graphic designers, tattoo artists, letter lovers, just curious people or anyone interested in calligraphy, both as an artistic medium and as a graphic element to complete or enrich an editorial or advertising work.
• HOW IT WORKS:
– Buy the Workshop through the normal e-commerce procedure of the site
– The days before the Workshop, you will receive the PDF handout and your personal address to access the Zoom Direct with the rest of the Class by mail.
• WHAT YOU BUY:
– 4 Meeting live on ZOOM during 1 month shared with teacher and class with the possibility to interact at the moment.
– Homeworks and Comments every week by the Teacher
– Handouts and Work sheets in PDF format, Video recording available for 1 Month
• TOPIC: “Hermann Kilian: an Adventure!”
Herman Kilian (1929 – 2004) was a German calligrapher, type designer and book designer who worked as a graphic artist in a large German graphic design company.
His work epitomized the simplicity of classical forms with each form having a tension, a wonder and character of it’s own. Kilian took pains to create each letter slowly and perfectly working with the tools of his trade, the ruling pen and the simple broad-edge. His work remains in the Schreibwerkstaat Klingspor in Offenbach am Main and the Berlin Calligraphy Collection for all to study.
In this workshop we will study his work, look at classical (penned) Roman capitals then modernizing them by changing their inter-letter and ligatured spaces. Elegance of letterform, interactive letters, fine-nibbed pens and the ruling pen will be the main focus of this workshop.
Please bring all your usual calligraphy supplies and creature comforts. Bring any of the following you already have:
Set of square edged nibs. Small sizes required ¾mm & 1mm & 1.5mm only. Please prepare them beforehand to make sure they are in good working order. ☺
A traditional ruling pen (as shown).
- Practice paper like bond, cartridge or layout approx. A3 or A4
- Fine Art papers Ingres, Mi Teintes, Arches Velin etc in neutral colours (tan, cream, ivory, white, etc.) and include 1 x black or charcoal or burgundy as well. Choose brands you like to work with. Only quarter sizes will be needed.
- 3- 4 sheets Tracing paper A4
Some non-waterproof black ink – ink stick and stone recommended.
Any gouache or water colours you already have (plus mixing supplies)
plus white gouache or Dr Ph Martin’s Pen White recommended.
Plus an eraser, ruler, lead pencils, 2 x small water jar, tissues or rag, notebook/visual diary, blu-tac/white putty and a compass (pair of compasses).
• THE TEACHER:
Gemma Black is an artist and calligraphic-designer. Gemma was a recipient of a Winston Churchill Memorial Fellowship to study in Europe that allowed her to research, observe and learn the practice of calligraphy. She is an Honoured Fellow and Fellow of the prestigious Calligraphy & Lettering Arts Society, UK. For over 25 years Gemma has taught extensively for calligraphy, bookbinding, art & craft organisations around Australia including the Australian National University. Gemma has taught in Italy, Germany, Spain, South Africa, USA, Canada and the UK. Her work is housed in private and public collections including the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge, UK, the European Parliament and Parliament House Canberra. Her work involves mostly calligraphy, book structures, decorative paper techniques, abstract watercolour painting and grounds for calligraphy. Gemma lives in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia If you would like to read about the day to day life of a lettering designer please visit Gemma’s BLOG